I am not a winter person. I really don’t do well with being cold. Now, as I find myself in a very cold climate, and one that is experiencing considerably more rainfall than usual, I like to make things a little cosy. What could be more delicious than buttery garlic mushrooms on toast?
Mushrooms were a bit exotic in our house growing up. My dad is allergic to them and so we very rarely ate them. So I fell in love with mushrooms as an adult. And now they are always on our shopping list. My funghi journey started with the garden variety button mushroom but you can see me greedily tucking into porcini, shiitake, oyster, enoki and some of the more exotic varieties. For this recipe you can use any type of mushroom you like – a mixture is lovely.
Garlic mushrooms on toast
Ingredients Small bowl of chopped mushrooms A large knob of butter 1 large clove of garlic - finely chopped Splash of white wine Small handful of parsley Large slice of sourdough bread - toasted
1. Melt the butter in a small frying pan. Add garlic and fry for a minute or two until golden
2. Add mushrooms and sauté until golden brown
3. Add parsley and a splash of white wine and sauté for another minute or two
4. Tip mushrooms onto your toast and find a quiet moment to enjoy
– for a little more decadence add a splash of cream with the wine
– add some steamed asparagus and a poached egg and you have a quick and delicious meal
How do you enjoy your mushrooms?
More of my recipes:
Subscribe to Untold Morsels
Subscribe to receive our monthly newsletter full of inspirational ideas for memorable trips.
As a thank you we will send you a FREE checklist for booking the best holiday accommodation rental apartments and villas on Booking.com, AirBnB etc