This article may contain compensated links. See our full disclosure here
Looking for the best booking sites for travel to Italy? These days there are so many web sites offering different services, it is hard to know who to trust and which sites have the best deals.
Here are our top picks of the best travel sites for your trip to Italy and why we like them.
What's in this article
- Booking.com – has the widest range of accommodation options, from hotels and bed and breakfast accommodation, apartments, and agriturismos. Generous cancelation policies and great deals make this our go to site for accommodation in Italy
- Plum Guide – if you’re overwhelmed by all the choice on Airbnb then head to Plum Guide where they’ve done all the hard work and chosen only the very best properties for their listings. You also get a lot more information including floor plans and an expert review so you’ll know the property is right for you
- Bookings ForYou – the best site to visit if you are looking for a special apartment or villa for your vacation in Italy – especially the lakes, Tuscany and Puglia regions. Personalized service, beautiful accommodation and insider knowledge are hallmarks of any experience with Bookings For You. Mention this site or our code – Untold Italy – for a 5% discount [does not apply with other offers]
- Vrbo – Vacation rentals by owner (Vrbo) has some of the best value and broadest range of properties for vacation rental in Italy including apartments in Rome and villas on the Amalfi Coast
- Airbnb – we have used Airbnb on many occasions in Italy but are now finding better value and booking conditions on Booking.com and Vrbo.
Airport transfers and ground transport
- Suntransfers – best door to door service for transfers of all group sizes in Italy and Europe. A meet and greet service that includes free cancelation up to 48 hours before transfer. Secure pay online service and you can prebook child car seats easily for a fee
- Welcome Pickups – book your transfer online and be met by your trained, English-speaking and professional driver
- Omio – compare prices, travel times and book train, bus and plane fares from available carriers all from the one site in easy to read native English. You can then download the handy app to keep your tickets in the one spot
- Trenitalia and Italo – official Italian sites for booking train travel – if you find the translations awkward, try the English languange alternatives
- Italiarail – fantastic English language interface to the Trenitalia booking system with low booking fees. Sadly no app though
- Rentalcars.com – great deals on both international and local Italian car rental companies
- AutoEurope – usually has the best deals if you need a one way return option
- MyParking – prebook car spaces and search for car parking all over Italy – very handy!
- Direct Ferries – great site to search schedules and book trips from Sorrento, to Capri. along the Amalfi Coast and for travel to and from Italy/Croatia/Greece/Slovenia
Flights, tour packages and cruises
- Skyscanner – browse the best flight deals and set up alerts for future price drops on airfares to Italy
- G Adventures – interesting small group tours for the young and young at heart. Check out their walking and sailing tours for inspiration
- Trafalgar – popular bus tours in Italy and Europe aimed at the 50+ market
- Cruise Direct – the best site to find last minute cruise deals for journeys beginning and stopping in Italy. This site has fantastic deals for Italian cruise line company MSC in particular
- Tourradar – package tour market place where you can browse and buy tour packages offered by main vendors like Trafalgar, Busabout, Intrepid etc They often have last minute deals
Tickets for the major attractions
- Colosseum – official ticket site OR Colosseum tickets on GetYourGuide
- Vatican Museums – official ticket site OR Vatican Museum tickets on GetYourGuide
- Borghese Gallery – official ticket site OR Borghese Gallery tickets on GetYourGuide
- Uffizi Gallery – official ticket site OR Uffizi tickets on GetYourGuide
- Accademia Gallery for David statue – official ticket site OR Accademia tickets on GetYourGuide
- Duomo roof climb – official ticket site OR book Duomo tickets on Tiquets
- Palazzo Ducale – official ticket site OR buy Doge’s palace tickets on GetYou Guide
- San Marco basilica – official skip the line tickets
- ‘Last Supper’ painting – official ticket site OR buy Last Supper tickets on GetYourGuide
- Duomo rooftop – official ticket site OR buy Duomo tickets on Tiquets
Tour sites and companies
- Take Walks – popular small group tours with engaging guides who focus on stories and anecdotes to bring classic sites alive. They specialize in Colosseum and Vatican tours
- Liv Tours – very small group tours (6 or less) specialists based in Italy with wonderful, friendly guides and interesting experience options eg drive a Ferrari! Use code – UNTOLDITALY for 5% off your tours.
- With Locals – private and flexible tours at very reasonable prices. You can choose your itinerary from pre made tours or create your own with the guide that suits you best. Includes – short city tours, cooking classes, family tours, vespa rides and more
- GetYourGuide – our preferred tour marketplace. GetYourGuide is based in Europe and has the largest listing of tours and activities in Italy. They also offer ground transfers and tickets. If you scroll to the end of each listing you can see who the provider of the tour is and we like this transparency
- Eating Europe – specialist food tour company with interesting itineraries
- EatWith – authentic culinary experiences with locals across Italy – dining, food tours and cooking classes
- Viator – owned by TripAdvisor, Viator is a popular site to book tours, tickets and transfers. You can keep all your tour information on their handy app. Unfortunately they do not reveal the actual provider so for this reason we prefer Get Your Guide
- Wise (formerly Transferwise)- Foreign exchange service and debit card [Mastercard] with rates up to 11x cheaper than banks, and no foreign transaction fees
- World Nomads – travel insurance is a must for any trip to Italy (here’s why). World Nomads will start cover right up to departure or even after your trip has started if you have left things a little late
- LuggageHero – a very handy luggage storage service with locations in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan from €1 per hour. Use code – UNTOLD – for 2 free hours of storage
- Flytographer – hire a local photographer to capture the magic of your trip
Disclaimer – Untold Morsels assists our readers with carefully chosen product and services recommendations that help make travel easier and more fun. If you click through and make a purchase on many of these items we may earn a commission. All opinions are our own – please read our disclosure page for more information.